A short conversation after Simone’s personality manifested in a day-long whirlwind of minor domestic catastrophes. After…
- looking me square in the eyes and slowly pouring her milk onto the kitchen table, sending me into a small fit of frustration;
- finding the cacao in the pantry, upending it onto her play table and carefully molding it into volcanoes;
- deciding a bowl of ice cream was best eaten from her miniature toy tea-pot;
- singing a Barney song over and over–pausing only to trumpet out a fart that foreshadowed more ominous things to come;
- removing a bag of frozen spinach cubes from the freezer and displacing its contents to various hidden sectors of the main floor;
- making her Papa walk around the kitchen island 300 times in an impromptu journey to visit Oma and Opa;
- eating raw oatmeal from a frog dish with a toy strainer;
- trying to demolish computer keyboards with frantic poundings;
- unrolling an entire tube of toilet paper from her perch on the potty;
- laughing hysterically when Papa wiped out in his stocking feet and nearly ended his career as a ballerina
After all this, the following:
Papa – You’re not really into listening today are you?
Simone – Nope.
Her response said with the inflection sounding up, the way a child would agree with a flourish to a game of seeing how many lollipops could be crammed into their mouth in thirty-seconds. Now, if only I would have asked the question sooner.